10 August 2010

Review: Spare Change by Aubrey Mace

spare change, aubrey mace
Spare Change by Aubrey Mace


Genre: Chick Lit, Romance
Publication Date: April 30th 2008
Publisher: Bonneville Books
ISBN: 1599551500 (isbn13: 9781599551500)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 202
Source: Won from Fire and Ice. Thanks!

Author's Website, Author's Blog, Buy from Amazon

Synopsis:
Twenty-three and single, Riley thinks resolutions should be fun, not hard. Just before midnight, she vows to make the easiest resolution ever: save her pennies and at the end of the year, buy something nice for herself. Easy! ...Or is it?
Working at a cancer treatment center can change one's perspective, and before long Riley decides to donate her extra money to cancer research rather than reward herself. At first her resolution is her own secret, but all too soon the nurses figure out her plan, and then things really begin to get out of hand!
As people through the hospital, and then the town, begin to get involved, Riley finds herself at the front of the fund-raising campaign. She also finds herself face-to-face with Paul, the grouchy but cute bank teller. But can she overcome the memory of a failed relationship - and can he do the same? And who is the secret admirer who keeps leaving pennies and notes for her to find?


Review:
I needed another cute fast sweet and light read, so I picked this book to read.

I wasn't very impres
sed by the beginning of the book, seeing the Paul was no where to be found and I started to wonder if the book would have any cute romance, I had to re-read the synopsis from the back cover. Luckily, I continued the book, phew!

I would prefer Paul to appear sooner, but that's fine. Then again, it wouldn't make much sense to let him appear that soon, as before he appears, it was mostly about how she got the idea.

Also, probably because I was impatient and didn't make an effort, I couldn't relate or understand Riley at first, but as I got pulled into the novel, I found myself understanding and know Riley much better. The random scenes from her past gave her more depth and more real, I love getting to know Riley.

I love Riley. She's very likable. She's funny, fun, sweet, and normal-flawed. I could see where she's coming from when she gets angry. Her family is just really fun and interesting. Her best friend and colleagues are awesome. Did I mention I love Paul?

Other than surprising me with how this novel turned out to be really awesome, there were a lot events in the book that really surprised me and I did not see them coming. I really love the surprises thrown in though! At some points, I was extremely careful not to accidentally-on-purpose read the next line/paragraph to spoil. Aubrey Mace balanced Riley's life with work, family and love pretty great
 in this novel!

I don't know if it sounds like I didn't like this much, but I like this a lot! A loooooooooooot!

Rating: 8/10

Cover Design: So cute! Love the illustration, with the piggy bank and pennies. Fonts fit in well as well! The pink! The cute pink!


No comments: