20 September 2010

Review: Manifest by Artist Arthur

manifest, mystyx, artist arthur
Manifest by Artist Arthur
Series: Mystyx, #1
Publication Date: 1 August, 2010
Publisher: Harlequin
ISBN: 037383196X (ISBN13: 9780373831968)
Format: e-book
Pages: 250
Source: NetGalley

Author's Site, Buy Paperback from Book Depository

Summary:
When fifteen-year-old Krystal Bentley moves to Lincoln, Connecticut, her mom's hometown, she assumes her biggest drama will be adjusting to the burbs after living in New York City.

But Lincoln is nothing like Krystal imagined. The weirdness begins when Ricky Watson starts confiding in her. He's cute, funny, a good listener—and everything she'd ever want—except that he was killed nearly a year ago. Krystal's ghost-whispering talents soon lead other "freaks" to her door—Sasha, a rich girl who can literally disappear, and Jake, who moves objects with his mind. All three share a distinctive birthmark in the shape of an M and, fittingly, call themselves the Mystyx. They set out to learn what really happened to Ricky, only to realize that they aren't the only ones with mysterious powers. But if Krystal succeeds in finding out the truth about Ricky's death, will she lose him for good?

Review:
First of all, I think, this book is one of the scary-to-me-only books. Because, this book scared the shit out of me. -__- I went to bed with lights and iPod on, because I was so afraid wtheck. Then, when I was reading, I had to put Katy Perry's Teenage Dream on repeat, to maybe you know, lift the scariness a little. Didn't work that well.

That aside, I still enjoyed this book. I didn't really like Krystal, she was really annoying, rude and kind of self-centered at times. But I don't think I should blame her, she had so many things going on. Luckily, she got over that stage (or is better at appreciating things, and controlling herself) and things got better. Thus, I like her better later. :D I like her friends too. She and Jake and Sasha make a great group of friends, they kind of fit one another. The romance part is cute! To my disappointment, nothing much happened.

I initially kind of thought nothing bad of having the power to communicate and see spirits, but after reading this, darn, I would hate hate hate to be her. You go girl! Respect! But her friends' are pretty cool, wouldn't mind their powers! There were some mysteries to the infos of their powers, but not all answers were found.

And, much to my dismay, this happened to be the first book in a freaking series and the ending is not exactly an ending and I suffered (I'm exaggerating) all these fears for a book without a complete ending! T_T *sighs unhappily* Well, the ending isn't that bad, they left a few questions unanswered for the next book, and a little new shocking thing they just found out.

Conclusion:
I hate this book for scaring me T__T But I like it enough to want to get scared again (wtheck) and read the next book! Next time, I WILL have someone to sit beside me when I'm reading. Hopefully the next book changes to Sasha's or Jake's POV so I won't be that scared. Plus, I would love to know them better.

Cover Design:
I like her glowing tattoo and the thing around MANIFEST. The fonts too. Overally, it's okay. It isn't bad. I like how the girl fits the description of Krystal :D

PS: I've just seen the cover (I think that's the cover) for the next book and I'm more excited to read it now. D: The cover is Sasha! So the 3rd book should be Jake. Woohoo for that!

5 comments:

Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading) said...

I've seen this one on Net Galley but avoided it because I was afraid it would scare me too. I get scared so easily! Thank you for the honest review, I'm glad you enjoyed it but I will probably avoid it now. :)

Hafsah said...

Hi Fiona! Just stopping by your blog!
I'm a new follower, will you follow me back?
Thanks!
Hafsah IceyBooks

Fi-chan (Bookish-Escape) said...

Kelli: Yeah, probably not recommended for people like us. I really hope the next book will change the POV or less scary. D:

Hafsah: sure, already already following!

brizmus said...

whoa, that's awesome that this book scared you so much! I'm always looking for books that scare me! Thanks for the review of this one!

Ednah Walters said...

Nice review, Fiona. I stopped by to thank you for adding my giveaway on your sidebar. I'm about to choose winners, so I'm all over the internet visiting links...lol...daunting task.