27 September 2010

Review: Numbers by Rachel Ward

rachel ward, numbers
Numbers by Rachel Ward
Series: Numbers, #1
Publication Date: 5 January 2009
Publisher: Chicken House/Scholastic Inc.
ISBN: 190529493X (ISBN13: 9781905294930)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 285
Source: Bought

Author's Site, Buy hardback / paperback from Book Depository

Summary:
Since her mother's death, fifteen-year-old Jem has kept a secret. When her eyes meet someone else's, a number pops into her head - the date on which they will die. Knowing that nothing lasts forever, Jem avoids relationships, but when she meets a boy called Spider, and they plan a day out together, her life takes a new twist and turn. Waiting for the London Eye, she sees everyone in the queue has the same number - something terrible is going to happen.

Review:
I've just finished this book, and I can't really figure out how to write this review. Anyway, the synopsis is kind of misleading. The terrorist attack was not such a big deal, I mean, sure it changed her life and everything, but in another way, it wasn't a big deal.

I was really into the book though, when I paused reading (for dinner) I can't get the book out of my mind, and finish my dinner so I could get back to the book ASAP. And the slang and language that I couldn't fully understand, they bothered me for a while, but to heck with it, I must ignore them and finish this great book.

Their journey was pretty exciting and unpredictable though, I didn't even try to predict what would happen next. I even worried and panicked with them, there were so many questions and possibilites.

I really like how the relationship between Jem and Spider was developed. It was so.. natural is the word I guess. Their love for each other was amazing. It was really heartbreaking for Jem, though. That curse/gift sucks.

I didn't like Jem that much, but her life is really sucky, so I don't blame her and the life she had chosen. She's not that hard to like actually, but I'm neutral towards her. I like Spider better, and I really like Karen and Spider's nan and Britney.

The ending is great one, not an ending that I wished for, but you know, in a way, it's a great ending. It really hit me that everyone will die eventually, or leave and part ways. :'( Yes, I'm in denial.

Conclusion:
I'm really emotionally affected by this book and now I really think this is a bad review. Oh well. To make this less confusing, if I have to rate this book, which I'm not good at doing, this book should be getting around 3.5 over 5 stars.

Cover Design:
Love love love the cover. The other cover is pretty good too! I like mine better though, I love the colourfulness and that we can see the girl's face too.

By the way, the 2nd book, Numbers 2: The Chaos came out few months ago, right? Why is it that I didn't see much reviews or mentions of the sequel! D:
Edit: Ohhh.. out in UK but not US, I see.

MY BLOG

4 comments:

....Petty Witter said...

Also participating in the September spectacular Reading Challenge, I thought I'd stop by and say hello. Nice to meet you, I really love your owl icon and have enjoyed my visit.

Misha1989 said...

Great Review! I think I am the only one who hasn't read this book. I think I will be stopping by your site more often. I bought Wherever Nina Lies after reading your review. So THANK YOU!

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

I also had mixed feelings on this one. I thought you did a great job with your review.

brandileigh2003 said...

I haven't seen this cover- it looks great!

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog