03 September 2010

Review: Smiles to Go by Jerry Spinelli

jerry spinelli, smiles to go

Smiles to Go by Jerry Spinelli
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Middle Grade / Children's (?)
Publication Date: May 1st 2008
Publisher: Scholastic
ISBN: 054520402X (ISBN13: 9780545204026)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 248

Author's Website, Buy from Book Depository

Summary:
What is stargazer, skateboarder, chess champ, pepperoni pizza eater, older brother, sister hater, best friend, first kisser, science geek, control freak Will Tuppence so afraid of in this great big universe?

Jerry Spinelli knows.

Review:
Seriously, what's the with weird summary? I've seen another summary, kinda weird as well.

Anyway, from the beginning to the middle part of the book, nothing was really happening, I kind of knew what was coming. But man, I was wrong! I even had the sub-genre wrong.

Spinelli at first focused on something, at some point though, he changed the focus. It was a surprise, but it wasn't too sudden that you can't accept it. The new focus was the sub-focus I guess, it was there all along, the author did a good job at masking the real focus, and surprise us at some point. (I love surprises!) Bonus, a few parts made me laugh out loud.

I didn't like the main character and his sister, until the author's surprise. They are both really sweet and nice. To come to think of it, his flaw exists in everyone, I can't expect him to be perfect anyway. Silly me.

The ending is really sweet, it made me go aww.. I really like the ending. If you are the type that peek at the last page after reading the first few chapters, the ending is going to confuse you!

Conclusion:
I enjoyed reading this (A surprise to me, it's a children's book!)

Cover Design:
Plain and boring. I kind of like the smiley face there, but that's all. I think I prefer the back cover.

MY BLOG

1 comment:

Unknown said...

well this book is like a story somebody already told cause u can tell whats coming next and the descripitons are really like not helping when you are trying to pick a good book although...well nothing cause it was BOARING