27 February 2011

Review: Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Awaken - Katie Kacvinsky
Publication Date: May 23rd 2011
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books
Format: egalley
Source: Netgalley

Preorder hardback from Book Depository

Summary:
Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.

Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.

In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.

Review:
This is such an amazing book. How very ironic, for me to be reading an egalley of this book. Anyway, I love how the time is set not too far from now and not too far in the future, so you can see the future stuffs, and still see some things that we're familiar with now. But I still don't really know the function of some of the gadgets. They weren't explained, I wish they told us more.

Anyway, I was hooked from the prologue. These characters are sooo real, like I know them. I like them, but I wouldn't want to be them, any of them, in their world. It's nice to see how Maddie reacts to her first experience with some stuffs. And Justin is young, but he sounded so old! By old I mean, too wise, too mature. Seriously, too much advices and all that -__- The wiseness is too much for someone that young. He is no fun. It's probably because of his background and etc, still... Well, I guess you know now that I'm not a fan of Justin. I went to read other reviews of Awaken, and I have to agree with them when they say Justin is preachy and a lot ranting from him. LOL.

Oh but I really like the romance, how they interact, and etc. And there was a scene that broke Maddie's heart, it broke mine too (sort of) and I cried :'( First time probably, for me to cry reading a book online. The 2nd half of the book really did shifted to focus more on their romance, but even then Justin is so distance.

I really can't get enough, and I seriously hope there will be a sequel, for the ending isn't really "okay, you can let go of me now", more like "to be continued...". I might not want to be them or live in their world, but I definitely want to read and know more about them!

Conclusion:
Really really really liked this book, and need to have a sequel!

Cover Design:
The cover looks like it's a depressing/issue book that will drain you emotionally. I don't know how I feel about the cover lol, except that after reading, I kinda understood the cover.

No comments: