17 March 2011

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
Series: The Hunger Games, #3
Publication Date: August 24th 2010
Publisher: Scholastic
ISBN: 0439023513 (ISBN13: 9780439023511)
Format: Hardback
Pages: 398

Author's Site, Buy hardback / UK paperback from Book Depository

Summary:
Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.

Review:
Warning: I am so sorry, I have no idea how to write this without spoilers for this book.

I think Catching Fire is really dark, but it is so undark when you compare it to Mockingjay. How ironic, the 1st book's cover's colour is black, but it's the lightest, while the darkest book in this trilogy has the brightest/lightest cover. I am disappointed that, after all those cruel scenes (so unbearable I read and skip through them asap) Suzanne Collins won't write the ending in a happier tone. The least she can do is write the happy-ish ending with more happier description, how Peeta and Katniss ended up back together again, and more happier moments between Peeta and Katniss. It ended in such a sad atmosphere. Sigh, everyone in the book, or nearly everyone, is so incredibly tortured. I expected the ending to make me grin and unable to stop grinning, but no it did not. Sighhhh.

And OMFG she freaking killed Cinna, AND Prim! And a lot other poor characters. :( RIP.

Actually, it's kind of hard to write this review. I mean, if I'm talking to someone about it, I'll spill everything out naturally. But the only friend that I talk to about this series with hasn't read the book yet, must hold back comments and spoilers. Yikes. I don't know how I feel about this book, really. I think it drained my emotions and attentions with all the torturing, especially seperating Peeta and Katniss. If you ask me now (as in when I'm writing this) if I like the book, if I thought it was nice, I wouldn't know how to answer you.

Oh and Suzanne Collins has done it again, making me cry less than 45 pages into the book. OK don't call me a crybaby! Did I mention I happily skipped dinner for both Catching Fire and Mockingjay?

I need to reread all 3 books, because I read so fast I'm pretty sure I missed some stuffs. But I'm dreading to reread Mockingjay already.

Conclusion:
I think I hate this book, for its darkness, cruelness and etc. I'm not good with dark books like this one. Wait, I think we have a love/hate relationship, making me so upset. So it's a huge compliment. LOL.

Cover Design:
Well, I like it. The mockingjay is flyinggggggg.

No comments: