31 May 2012

Review (2in1): Oh. My. Gods, Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Child

Oh. My. Gods and Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childsname
Series: Oh. My. Gods, #1, #2
Publication Date: Oh. My. Gods: 0142414204 (ISBN13: 9780142414200), Goddess Boot Camp: 0525421343 (ISBN13: 9780525421344)
Publisher: Puffin, Dutton Juvenile

Author's Site, Buy Oh. My. Gods hardback / paperback, Goddess Boot Camp hardback / paperback from Book Depository

Summary:
Oh. My. Gods
A modern girl's comedic odyssey in a school filled with the descendants of Greek gods.
When Phoebe's mom returns from Greece with a new husband and moves them to an island in the Aegean, Phoebe's plans for her senior year and track season are ancient history. Now she must attend the uberexclusive academy, where admission depends on pedigree, namely, ancestry from Zeus, Hera, and other Greek gods. That's right, they're real, not myth, and their teen descendants are like the classical heroes supersmart and superbeautiful with a few superpowers. And now they're on her track team! Armed only with her Nikes and the will to win, Phoebe races to find her place among the gods.

Goddess Boot Camp
Seventeen-year-old Phoebe has recently learned that she's a descendant of Nike (the goddess, not the shoe). Now, in order to learn to control her newfound—and very strong—powers, she's being forced to attend Goddess Boot Camp. The only problem is, none of the other campers is over the age of ten! It's not going to be easy to survive camp, train for the Pythian Games, and keep her romance with Griffin going strong, but goddess help her, Phoebe is determined to make it work!

Review:
Oh. My. Gods. is chick lit-y but with teen characters and well, Greek Gods. I find Oh. My. Gods hard to understand/absorb what's written sometimes, it probably is just be my tiredness though, because I don't have such problem with Goddess Boot Camp.

I never expected Goddess Boot Camp to turn out that differently from Oh. My. Gods. Oh. My. Gods. feels like a good but long introduction to this book, but Goddess Boot Camp is much more exciting and suspenseful.

I never intended to sacrifice my sleep time to finish reading Goddess Boot Camp, I mean, I'm going out later today, and I slept at 4AM ++ ! My poor, poor, pooooooooor dark circles, have just gone to the darker darker darker side.

It's way funnier (although maybe less funny points), like really laugh/giggle and kind of hard to stop, I'm glad I didn't read this in public. It's also serious-er, but not too serious. I really love how the characters changed throughout the two books, like in Stella and Adara's case, we get to see another side (also deeper) of them. I loveeee Stella in this book, btw. :D Phoebe's relationship with Stella realy improved and is quite cute! Phoebe got a little bitchier in this book though, thanks to the things she's going through, but it somehow also made her a real-er character, I feel like I'm watching her on a TV sometimes lol. Anddd I think she's matured and grown up. :O

Did I mention my knowledge of Greek Gods is really little, and I'm glad there are explanations sometimes, so I didn't get too lost.

Anyway, I feel like there are some words, or paragraphs that shouldn't be there. OK that came out wrong. I mean, I found myself skipping some sentences and see what happens. I'm usually reallyyyyyy good at not peeking and read until the author decides to let me know. This one feels like those words are only there to not let me know what happens immediately, they are quite useless/pointless and unimportant and seriously annoying, and obviously doesn't appeal to my impatientness at all. And this applies to both books!

Conclusion:
I think Goddess Boot Camp is better than Oh. My. Gods, but both are very enjoyable, and funny.

Cover Design:
Hate the Oh. My. Gods hardback cover, paperback is a little weird, but still better. I think the Goddess Boot Camp cover is better than both Oh. My. Gods covers.

No comments: