08 July 2012

Review: The Book Of Tomorrow


The Book Of Tomorrow
The Book Of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Tamara Goodwin has always got everything she's ever wanted. Born into a family of wealth, she grew up in a mansion with its own private beach, a wardrobe full of designer clothes and all that a girl could ever wish for. She's always lived in the here and now, never giving a second thought to tomorrow. But then suddenly her dad is gone and life for Tamara and her mother changes forever. Left with a mountain of debt, they have no choice but to sell everything they own and move to the country. Nestled next to Kilsaney Castle, their gatehouse is a world away from Tamara's childhood. With her mother shut away with grief, and her aunt busy tending to her, Tamara is lonely and bored and longs to return to Dublin. When a travelling library passes through Kilsaney Demesne, Tamara is intrigued. Her eyes rest on a mysterious large leather bound tome locked with a gold clasp and padlock. What she discovers within the pages takes her breath away and shakes her world to its' core.


The book started out incredibly slow and frankly, boring, so much that I put the book aside for weeks before finally deciding that I should probably at least try to finish the book. Maybe I didn't want to waste my money, or maybe I didn't want to be completely disappointed in my favourite author, but I'm glad that I did continue reading the book.

And serious warning, the first quarter or maybe even one third of the book was unbelievably slow and boring! Maybe as slow as Tamara's new life in the village (she talked about Facebook a little bit but she has no cellphone wtf I don't know if they're really in our time). I'm not sure when exactly it started picking up, maybe slowly from the arrival of the travelling library, and when it did, it was so good it totally redeemed itself. Maybe the slow part was needed to build up for the epicness in the later part of the book, but I wish the slow part wasn't that long. I mean, I even had to put it aside and wanted to not finish it for a while!

Don't be fooled by the cover and the summary of the book. It actually got darker, with secrets and mysteries, I had so many goosebumps when I was reading it. But it wasn't too dark, but it creeped me out so much I had to finish the book as soon as possible so that I could stop being creeped out. D: And right now as I write this I am getting a little goosebumps too wtf. I also have to mention that, I get scared and creeped out pretty easily and I avoid all horror films and books LOL.

Character wise, I'm fine with Tamara. I didn't reallyyyy like her because she's a spoilt brat so I don't think I should be, but she's okay. Sometimes I get very very annoyed by her grieving but oh what do I know about that. Her actions as a teenager though, I can get annoyed by them too but to come to think of it, most of the time I would've done the same thing as her, especially the Sister Ignatius part. Teenage pride and all that maybe? Or not brave enough? I don't know, I just know I would've done the same thing.

Romance was okay, there wasn't actually much to it. We didn't really get to know her love interests but they were never the main point anyway. And I can relate a little to Tamara in the romance part too. :( I almost always forgot about the Dublin Tamara and I kept getting surprised by how good she is at the art of flirting.

I can't comment on other characters without giving anything away so I'm just gonna keep them to myself.

The ending was good and I really didn't see it coming, but it didn't offer me all the answers to my questions in the book, and it was quite rushed, I got very confused. Maybe not rushed but too many things were happening! And it certainly didn't help that the book was written in Tamara's POV. I don't think it gave me the full closure, maybe just half. Btw who the heck is Paddy? I read through the good part of the book pretty fast so I might have missed it, but who is this Paddy?! I don't know if I should re-read some parts but I don't want to get creeped out again! Maybe I should. Afterall I pretty much rushed through reading it.

I gave the book four stars because I deducted one star for the boring part lol. Otherwise it'd be five stars.


MAIN BLOG
View all my reviews

No comments: