07 July 2012

Review: Jekel Loves Hyde


Jekel Loves Hyde
Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey
MAIN BLOG
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Summary:
Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents' rules - especially the one about never opening the mysterious old box in her father's office. But when her dad is murdered and her college savings disappear, this good girl is tempted to peek inside, because the contents just might be the key to winning a lucrative chemistry scholarship. 

To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize but to save Tristen's sanity. Maybe his life. As things heat up in the lab, though, Jill's accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and will compel her to risk everything - even Tristen's love - just for the thrill of being ... bad.

The book started out SO GOOD and so promising! The plot, the characters, the romance, and everything else was pretty good.

But when I reached the point of the book where Jill Jekel tasted the formula that would make her be bad, omg it went downhill. The thrill, excitement and danger of the book were just gone. I feel like Beth Fantaskey dragged out the plot/story/(or just the whole thing) for way too long and emphasized WAYYYY TOO MUCH on Jill's virginity (while we're at that, too much on sex too wtf), her inexperience-ness, how weak she is, and a lot other annoying stuffs.

And Jill? She was a great character, and yes she went downhill from the same point too wtf. She became a super weak (physically and emotionally!) girl, self-destructive and stupid too. So freaking stupid I feel like slapping her. Before that, she was physically weak but emotionally strong, smart and definitely not self-destructive. She was such a great and likable girl! Even though she was a little too uptight and stuff, but Beth made her so annoyingly so. In the end the girl she turned out to be would be very likable, if only we would be with her longer.

Tristen Hyde is the seems-bad-but-actually-really-good-boy that Jill fell for, and unfortunately for me I have a soft spot for seems-bad-but-actually-really-good-guys. I may be slightly biased but I liked him, not very annoying (he only annoyed me once or twice, which was very good compared to Jill). Most of the POV's were Jill's so we didn't get to know Tristen as well as we know Jill. In fact, when he spilled his ~big secret~ to Jill it felt forced, out of place. Or maybe it's just that I didn't see that coming.

Actually, they had so many secrets or shocking stuffs to spill, coming one after another, I might have became immune to them.

I finished the book for the sake of getting closure, and I still have some hope that they would have a happy ending and I wouldn't be annoyed at them anymore. And yes, the ending was great, and very satisfying.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this book. Sorta mixed feelings, but the first half of the book and the ending was really great.





!!!! SLIGHT SPOILER ALERTTT!!!!!!!! Just need to rant a little.




WTF IS WITH HER STAYING WITH HIM THEN STAY AWAY THEN BACK TO HIM THEN STAYING AWAY AGAIN OMG. They repeated this shit so many times it became plain annoying and irritating. Just make up your mind! At one point I was wondering if they were take turns to stay away from each other!

SHE ALSO FUCKING BECAME A GIRL WHO LOATHED HERSELF AND COULDNT LIVE WITH HERSELF wtf is this shit!



View all my reviews

No comments: