02 July 2012

Review: Twenty Boy Summer


Twenty Boy Summer
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary:
 "Don't worry, Anna. I'll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."
"Promise me? Promise you won't say anything?"
"Don't worry." I laughed. "It's our secret, right?"

According to her best friend Frankie, twenty days in ZanzibarBay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there's a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie---she's already had that kind of romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

First of all, I was pleasantly surprised by how good this book is. I never thought it would be this amazing. And the cover, I love it. I love that it has references to the story, and to Matt.

Honestly, I'm a little speechless right now. It was so good I don't know where to start. It is one of the best books I've read. This may be YA book, but I think it's only YA because of the characters' age.

Anyway, I may not have experienced the things that they went through, but it was realistic. I read and feel for them, as if I was there with them, going through the same thing. I loved all the characters, Anna, Frankie, Matt, Sam, and even Jake. They felt so real.

My heart breaks for Anna, falling in love and it barely even begun, but it ended so abruptly, and she had to keep it a secret. There were so many times when I wished that Matt didn't die.

And that trip to California, I thought their mourning and moving on process was good and natural. I have not experienced loss of someone super close, but I am hoping that I won't ever have to. Watching (or rather, reading) them fall in love, moving on and slowly letting go of Matt, I feel like I was letting go of Matt too.

There wasn't any cliffhangers or anything relatively super exciting, but I could barely put the book down. So much perfection in this one book. I wish the book, and their time in California didnt end.

You know, reading this only reminds me of my inability to love, or to fall in love. What's wrong with me?! -_-


MAIN BLOG

View all my reviews

No comments: